Friday, January 27, 2006

Dolce & Gabbana "Light Blue"

And lo, I went into the outlet store, and there it
was: a sample of the "most popular perfume on the market", according to whoever tabulates such things. I'll admit, considering the amount of buzz this stuff got, at one point I was thinking of shilling out for an entire bottle (I then remembered the Coco Mademoiselle episode and regained control
of myself). But a sample bottle for a buck? Done.

Aaaaand... done. Sooo not a fan. Citrus, for one. Not just citrus, but a
smell like an entire lime thrown into a blender: lime, leaf and possibly
bough. There's also a sherbety buzz, which strays across the line and
becomes dusty ever so often. I really had to wait for the more subtle notes
to come out -- a definite marine, plus a sweet grassy smell, like dune
grass. Those two scents I liked, but not enough to wait around for, and
certainly not if that wait takes the form of lime incarceration. Hopefully
everyone else who purchased this perfume has the opposite experience; a day
at the seashore with lime wedges in their cocktails, maybe?

Verdict: They're singing songs of love, but Light Blue is
not for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried this today - oh, the horror! I just about gagged on the marine note - I could barely discern the lime after being so assaulted. I HATE synthetic marine notes with a passion, and this one has more than most. I can't imagine who would want to smell like this. I would have to be the biggest D&G groupie on earth to put this on. Not that I am opinionated or anything. :-)

katiedid said...

I just do not get this one - it's simply too harsh for wear, really. There's something distinctly "hospital" smelling about it to me, as if it were very disinfectant-laced. It's simply so sharp, I can't fathom its wide appeal at all.

Eliza said...

Chelsea, the think with Hamptons for me is that I really WANTED to like it, but something in my skin just wasn't happy. I can imagine that on someone else, it smells exactly like the seashore. I'm glad it works for you!

I'm certainly glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thought that this perfume was awful! What on earth do other people smell in it? Is it truly some sort of weird Comso-inspired, lemmingish brand loyalty to D&G?

Anonymous said...

Well I love this scent. It smells young sexy and fresh on me. Just a nice everyday smell that's not too sweet [not too keen on sweet flowery smells]. The only thing that bothers me is that so many people use it... it just stopped being unique :(