Saturday, July 01, 2006

Dear All


Was it the JLo fragrance that did it? I'll never know. All I can tell you is that my laptop suddenly started making this awful fan noise, the software collapsed, the power system fried, and I kept getting a very elusive whiff of "Still". After a month of toting the machine around town, I finally managed to find a kindly repairperson who did his Mac-whispering thing and ordered new parts. So we're back.

Since regaining access to the blog, I've noticed that there are a couple of readers who are less than pleased with my assessment/knowledge/general comportment. That's understandable -- perfume's a pretty personal thing, and at times a very emotional thing. If I scoff at something you were wearing when your husband proposed or the scent your late mother used to wear, it's not surprising the reaction is indignant.

I stated pretty frequently in earlier entries that my judgements are coloured not only by my personal body chemistry and age, but also by my own sense memory. Admittedly I tailed off on those sorts of disclaimers recently, mostly because I felt it was getting repetitive -- but it does still stand. This is by no means an impartial perfume blog; it's completely partial and very particular to my own reaction.

Please do continue leaving comments, good or bad. But I did want to assure all readers that I'm not trying to lay down a comprehensive judgement on perfumes -- it'd be foolish to even try, given how vivid the difference can be from wrist to wrist.

(And as a side note: Given that I have relocated to the far side of the ocean, I don't have the most brilliant access to fragrances. If you'd like to see a perfume reviewed on this site, feel free to email me or leave a comment suggesting it and I'll do what I can to source it. If you happen to have a sample of it lying around and would like to pop it in an envelope and post it, email me and I'll give you the address. I guarantee that anyone who takes the time to post a sample will get a prompt review.)

And with that bit of housekeeping done, back to the fun stuff.

Eliza

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I was really starting to miss your column, and I look forward to reading more of your reviews. If I get to vote (and if you can get your hands on these samples in NZ), I would love to hear what you have to say about L de Lolita Lempicka, Fifi Chachnil and Lancome Mille & Une Roses.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Eliza, just checking to see if you're still doing your blog. Do you know of a way to get e-mail notification of new activity? It seems you're only writing sporadically - hopefully because you're busy having too much fun in NZ to write very often :-)
Cheers,
Lydia in Phoenix

Anonymous said...

Dear Eliza, what's happened to you? Bored with the blog? Too busy? New beau? I've been reading Luca Turin's new book, The Secret of Scent. It's HARD to read because of all the chemistry and physics, but wonderful all the same. I bought a copy from Amazon.uk because I couldn't wait for the U.S. release. You should have it! Check in, why don't you, and tell us what's up!
Your friend,
Lydia in Phoenix

Anonymous said...

Earth to Will Robinson:

Eliza, are you still among the living?

Just checking...

From you friend Lydia in Phoenix ~ worrying about you just a little

Anonymous said...

wish this blog was still going--I just discovered it !

January 2007

Anonymous said...

Dear Eliza,
Where have you gone? I just began reading, got hooked, and finally stumbled to your last entries--please more! I don't like getting having to drop a just-formed habit.
--Very sad in Brooklyn

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog as well... I'm just very sad to see that the last post was last July. I certainly hope you rejoin the blogosphere soon! (April 13, 2007)

Anonymous said...

I just found this blog. Absolutely brilliant!

My request is for Ralph Lauren Blue and Tommy Girl. I love them both but feel I should be embarrassed about the latter for some reason. What do you think?

Oh and DKNY which is awful! I made a friend smell it and she said she wouldn't wash her toilet with it.