Monday, November 28, 2005

Cacharel "Promesse"


I'll admit, I've been using this scent as an all-rounder during my international move (apologies for the extended absence -- turns out that moving transatlantically is VERY TAXING). I'd accidentally left a handful of vials in my purse and those are the ones that will be seeing me through the next few weeks as I wait for my shipped boxes to show up. All of the others are somewhat niche, too specific to wear without specific intent. And when you choose to unconsciously grab a certain fragrance right after putting down the stick of deoderant... Well, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

It's an eclectic bunch, and "Promesse" is the least obtrusive. It's got a grapefruit burst to start, but then florals out. It's got good staying power, but I can't shake the feeling that this scent is cheap somehow. I may have been totally spoilt by "Flowerbomb", and "Promesse" is just coming away like a low-grade knockoff. It's pleasant, and it's certainly what I've been throwing on while dressing for a day of lurking about town, but I probably wouldn't be returning to it were it not for the fact that all my other scents are somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. (Hopefully not "bottom of" the Atlantic -- dear god, I hate international moves!)

Verdict: Kind of a teeny-bopper take on "Flowerbomb", really. Less complex, less enjoyable, but serviceable all the same.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Promesse is cheap though. I saw it at TJMaxx for under twenty bucks, the 1.7 EDT.

Eliza said...

Heh, really? Well that certainly explains it. I'm not even sure how I acquired "Promesse" -- must have just swept it up with a handful of others off of a display or something. Would absolutely use "Flowerbomb" instead.

Anonymous said...

Actually, it's retailing full-price at department stores and at places like Ulta and Sephora for $47.50.

It's a fragrance that is marketed at the bridal set, and as described by the people at Cacharel:

"Promesse is a luminous fruity floral fragrance created for the passionate woman.
Sparkling notes of fresh citrus mingle with jasmine and orchid blossoms spiked with ripe blackberry.
The fragrance finishes with a deep, sensual dry down of soft amber, musk, sandalwood, and cedar."

Just FYI. I think it's too flowery.

Anonymous said...

P.S. You find Dana Buchman coats at TJ Maxx for like $150, and that's not a cheap line. Just because it's at a discount resale place doesn't mean it isn't quality.

Eliza said...

Oh, I'm not saying anything bad about discount shopping -- when in the States, I am the Outlet Mall Queen. But I do think that the perfumes you find in TJ Maxx are pretty much like anything else you find at TJ Maxx: there is treasure to be found, but you really have to work hard to find it.

So I'm not surprised that "Promesse", having done badly with the shoppers at full-price department stores, would elicit the same negative response from me. I can only hope that the woman on whom "Promesse" smells heavenly knows there's a bargain to be had!