Saturday, August 20, 2005

Burberry "Weekend"

This is one of the hard-won samples from Selfridge's, which I picked up on the recommendation of my high school friend Pidge. Burberry's got a bit of a chav-tastic reputation lately in general, and the bottle looks downright stupid, but Pidge is a classy lady so on it went.

A melon wash at first, which then blurred into an almost alcoholic woodsy spice on me -- not boozy, just bright. That freshness lingered for a good three hours, then mellowed into a muskier tone that deepened the spices a little. There was a touch of powder at the end, but totally devoid of flowery insipidness, so it didn't bother me at all.

"Weekend" is somewhat utalitarian for me -- it's a good scent, and I certainly wouldn't turn away a free bottle, but it's very much a take-or-leave perfume on my skin. Pidge's body chemistry is about as far from mine as you can get, though, and I'd be interested to see if the flowers come out on her.

Verdict: Inoffensive, clean scent that is as casual as they come, but won't be setting my world on fire anytime soon.

No comments: