Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Different Company "Jasmin de Nuit"


This is Jean-Claude Ellena's company, and they have really, really pretty bottles. Hefty solid glass things that would look wonderful on any vanity -- if I were tempted by lovely casings, these would certainly be at the top of my list. Mmmmm. Pretty. Mmmm...

Sorry.

I put this on to go to Tankard's garden barbecue. I figured it'd be a good pick for an August night out in the backyard -- unfortunately, the weather did not agree and as soon as I left the house I got drenched. I loved this scent going on; it's delicate and solid and warm, a very grounded floral but not earthy. After the downpour and whilst stuck on a crowded Tube, I was quite nervous that the scent might be really billowing, but due to a large man eating a series of pungent mints across from me I wasn't able to judge. Another trek through muggy, misty, rainy weather may have washed the rest of the perfume away -- and if the weather didn't, then Tankard's beautiful eight-month old daughter Emtoo drooled it right off my neck.

So I can't say much for the longevity of this scent, though I liked it enough to give it another test run in the near future. It might actually fare better in cold weather than in hot, and I continue to be rather suspicious of perfumes I can't atomise. But all other issues aside, it is lovely. It's what the air smells like on a garden patio at night after a fantastic dinner, with the remnants of coffee and tea and biscuits on the table. A scent like jasmine doesn't need to be complex if it's done beautifully, and this one is beautiful.

Verdict: The more I think about it, the more I love it. Feminine and gentle but also subtly persistent, it's also very age-appropriate. And pretty bottle to boot!

No comments: