Wednesday, August 31, 2005

J. Lo "Still"

"Here," the nattily-dressed salesman said, shoving four samples into my hand. "Quick, put them in your bag, I'm not meant to give you that much! This isn't even my zone!"

Ah, the danger and intrigue of the Oxford Street fragrance departments.

Of course, now I've got a ludicrous amount of "Still" I've found that it smells of nothing more than soap. Nice soap, but soap. As though I've taken a shower, then scraped my nail along the top of a moist white bar and rubbed the residue on my wrists and collarbone. Soap made up of white florals, maybe, but... That's it for four hours. Then a spicy/citrus whisper right against the skin that is so absolutely faint it might as well be a hallucination. Then... poof. Gone.

The bottle's easier to wax on about: the back's got this nifty refracting thing going on, so it looks faceted from the front. But then there's also a ridiculous plastic ring with a huge "diamond" settled around the atomiser! Now, this isn't an inexpensive perfume, so why on earth they'd spend the time and money making the really nice old-Hollywoodish bottle and then chuck a Crackerjack ring on the top, I've no idea. You can remove it, thank goodness, but... To what? Wear shoddy plastic imitation J. Lo "bling"? Silly marketing move there.

Verdict: Soapy fragrance with bizarrely contradictory packaging.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please continue this fab blog which I've just discovered - have been shrieking with laughter all afternoon, please start again soon.
j, edinburgh

Eliza said...

J, thanks so much for reading along! I've been horribly naughty in not updating, but am back on track now. Hope you'll stick around!

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe how many perfume blogs there are! Yours is nice, you should update it more often!

Eliza said...

Updating as we speak -- and please do check in for more as I pillage the cosmetic halls of New Zealand! Thanks for reading!