Monday, August 15, 2005

Editions de Parfums "Le Parfum de Thérèse"


The nose on this one is Edmond Roudnitska, who designed the perfume exclusively for his wife in the 50s. It goes on like a juicy honeydew rind sprinkled generously with black pepper, a startling scent. The melon scent fades, though, leaving behind a simple watery pepper odour. That scent lingers for absolutely ages, strong and shallow, before getting a hint of woodsy/floral/spicy/leathery depth. But I do mean hint -- I have to really focus hard on distinguishing any notes at all other than "this smells like something other than my skin". And it's still all lurking water, hidden pepper as well.

I do finally understand what a leather note smells like, and I like it here: an almost indistinguishable whisper, like you've been wearing your date's jacket all evening and even after you've handed it back, there's just that hint of leather softness left on your skin. Too bad your date likes pepper so much.

I can only assume that this is a chemistry thing, because I know people really like this scent and get a lot more out of it than I did. On me, it's just weird and confused.

Verdict: Not my kind of Malle -- and I really hope Thérèse didn't smell like pepper. Achoo.

No comments: