Thursday, August 04, 2005

Ormonde Jayne "Sampaquita"


Apparently there's citrus in this one, and for once? I can wear it!

This one is lovely and light and airy, but tethered enough at the base to make me not smell like a bridesmaid at a tacky wedding. Fabulously, each floral scent (and though I can't identify them, the literature notes magnolia, freesia, rose and water lily) comes together in a beautiful, musky way that is entirely entrancing. There's also bergamot perfectly played, emerging rarely like a breath of fresh air -- not a fizzy Fanta in sight. I hadn't read the description of this tester before trying it, and so found myself peering at coworkers trying to find out which one was eating a satsuma only to realise that those brief, elusive wisps of fragrance were actually coming from me.

I hate lychee nuts with an absolute passion, but apparently there are some of those in the mix as well. Maybe that's what's mellowing all of the floral and citrus stuff? I did catch the water lily a couple of times at the start, I think, which was a really pretty addition. There's also the tiniest spiciness, but it's just a hint.

This is noted as a summer scent, and I think I can see why -- it's like walking through an ornate English garden in the late afternoon, when all of the flowers are beginning to cool and the ornamental ponds are fragrant and the trees causing the breeze to eddy all the scents around you, and somewhere just out of sight someone is eating an orange. Just that sort of lazy, hazy, perfect summer day. I would certainly make this edp a top pick, and am delighted to have found a perfume that tames the citrus enough to agree with my skin.

Verdict: Were it a painting, it'd be a Monet, and that's exactly the sort of summer day that will see me wearing it. Delicious.

No comments: